This cake is made in three stages:
|4||Egg Whites - Large|
|1 Cup||Powdered (Icing) Sugar|
|1 Tsp||Malt Vinegar|
|1 Cup||Ground Roasted Hazelnuts|
|Vanilla to taste|
|Chocolate for Coating|
Preheat oven to 275°F (225°F in a convection oven).
On a piece of parchment paper trace around a diameter 1 inch smaller than your cake size. (e.g. for a 9 inch cake trace an 8 inch diameter.) NB: 2 meringue discs will be necessary for one cake.
In a metal mixing bowl whip eggs whites until they hold a soft peak, then gradually whisk in the fine sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing until very stiff, and then fold in the vanilla, vinegar and ground hazelnuts.
Fill a piping bag, and pipe in circles from the outside in using a plain round piping tip (i.e. #4) on parchment paper.
Place in the oven for approximately one hour, turn off the oven and leave overnight.
|8 oz||Bittersweet Chocolate|
|2 Cups||Cake & Pastry Flour|
|1/3 Cup||Hot Water|
|1 Tsp||Baking Soda|
|2 Tsp||Vanilla Extract|
|1 Cup||Firmly Packed Brown Sugar|
|1 Cup||White Granulated Sugar|
|1 Cup||Vegetable Shortening|
|3||Eggs - Large|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (300°F in a convection oven).
- Grease three 9 – inch cake pans. Line the bottoms with rounds of parchment or wax paper.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until bubbles begin to form around the edges.
- Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes. Stir until there are no large lumps. (Don’t worry if the chocolate remains suspended as small particles in the milk.) Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the hot water and the baking soda. Stir to dissolve, then set aside.
- In a bowl, cream together the brown and white sugars with the shortening until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Starting and ending with the flour mixture, add some of the flour, then some of the milk/chocolate mixture alternately to the batter until completely incorporated. Add the soda water and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined.
- Divide the batter equally among the pans and spread it evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each layer comes out clean. Cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto the racks. Remove the paper and cool completely.
- Paint one side of the circle of meringue with melted chocolate; allow drying, before painting the other side (trim meringue if necessary).
- On the base layer of cake spread a thin layer of chocolate ganache *, sprinkle with nuts and put on a meringue disc; then spread another thin layer of ganache sprinkle with nuts and add the next cake layer.
- Repeat as above
- Finish with the top cake layer. Crumb coat and refrigerate until firm, recoat with buttercream* then cover with Sugarpaste.